Даты: 20.04.18 — 20.04.18
Организаторы: British Institute of Florence
The 2018 IASEMS Graduate Conference at The British Institute of Florence is a one-day interdisciplinary and bilingual English-Italian forum open to PhD students and researchers who have obtained their doctorates within the past 5 years. This year’s conference will focus on the theme of conversion, a fascinating phenomenon, a promise of newness that blends elements of individual experience with larger problems of historical change.
The ideological and spiritual life of early modern Britain finds a special interpretative key in the notion of conversion, whether perceived as an individual response to a religious and political challenge, a community reaction to political upheaval, or a social change brought about by the innovations of modernity.
The goal of this Conference is to develop an understanding of conversion that will address epistemological, psychological, political, spiritual and technological kinds of transformation, perceived both as subjective and collective change. Therefore conversion is to be understood in its broadest possible sense, and nor merely as a religious phenomenon.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
- forms of conversion, sacred and secular, i.e., awakening to a new faith, an intensification of existing beliefs, an embracing of a (radical) political movement, etc.
- conversional thinking and practice
- early modern textual ‘conversions’, i.e., from manuscript to print, from one format to another, from one genre to another
- relationships among transformation, freedom and power
- forms of religious dissent in early modern British culture
- religious change and gender
- how early modern English theatre and other theatrical practices represent, adopt, transform, relocate forms of conversion
- conversion narratives
- the phenomenon of forced conversion
- authenticity and pretense in conversion
- religious conversion as catalyst of other transformations (e.g., translation, alchemy, enthusiasm, etc.)
- technologies of transformation